Landfills in Serbia present an ugly picture. There are located near the settlements and roads and they pollute the environment in so many different ways considering the fact that they are not enclosed and that they do not have leachate collection system which can easily cause the pollution of ground waters and air. Those locations are used for disposal of waste which has not been previously treated so the wind can easily blow away the waste and spontaneous fires are common occurrence.
The solution for above presented problems is the construction of a regional waste management system.
With the aim of finding a long-term solution to the problem of waste, the City of Subotica and municipalities of Bačka Topola, Kanjiža, Senta, Mali Iđoš, Novi Kneževac and Čoka have engaged themselves in a project of development of a modern regional system of waste management which complies with all standards set by the European Union.
Business organization Regionalna deponija Ltd, Subotica, is responsible for the construction and operation of the regional system for municipal waste management for the City of Subotica and listed municipalities.
The regional waste management system consists of:
- Regional sanitary landfill– The landfill body has impermeable bottom which prevents draining of leachate into the ground and groundwater. The leachate waste waters are collected by specially designed drainage system and they are reused for the purpose of moisture regulation of the landfill. Potential surplus of water is planned to be treated in the waste water treatment plant. The landfill body also has landfill gas collection system (methane) to prevent the negative impact of landfill gas emission and this landfill gas can also be used for the production of electric power which can be used by the center. Only waste which cannot be recycled or composted is disposed to landfill body. Disposal of hazardous waste together with other types of waste at the same location is not permitted. Sanitary landfill is not a source of odor, as most of the organic waste is composted and the rest of the waste is disposed to landfill body where it is covered by an inert material every 24 hours. This is why there is also no possibility for the wind to scatter away the upper layers of waste from the landfill.
- Waste separation plant– This plant will be used for the separation of waste based on its type and properties, thus, secondary raw material will be separated and ready for pressing, baling and disposal at the location for temporary storage until it is sent to other recycling centers. The purpose of this plant is the separation of waste which cannot be recycled so that the landfill body would receive only the waste which cannot be reused.
- Composting plant–After selection, the biodegradable waste is transported to the composting plant. Biodegradable waste, obtained from the mixed waste, is treated in the composting plant and the material produced from it is later used as the landfill cover. Green waste (leaves, grass, branches, etc.) will also be treated in the composting plant, in special tunnels, and it will give compost which quality would be equal to the quality of organic manure. The composting process also decreases the amount of leachate and spreading of unpleasant odors.
- Recycling yard (or waste collection center)is the place where waste batteries and accumulators are collected, as well as waste oils, old tires, electric and electronic waste, green waste, construction debris and bulky waste from households.
- Transfer stationis the location where waste is transported to by garbage trucks, reloaded and pressed in large roll-off containers which then transport the waste to the regional landfill complex for treatment or disposal. This lowers the transportation costs and air pollution from truck exhaust fumes because smaller number of trucks will transport the waste from the said municipalities.
CONSTRUCTION OF THE FACILITIES THAT MAKE THE REGIONAL WASTE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM IS IN THE PROCESS. Start of the operation of regional waste management system is planned to be in the mid of 2017 when the present city landfills and dumpsites will be no longer used.
DESCRIPTION OF THE OPERATION OF FUTURE WASTE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
Regional waste management system implies that the activities relating to municipal waste collection will still be the responsibility of public utility companies, and private company Brantner in Kanjiža municipality, which will then deliver the collected waste to the business company „Regionalna deponija“ Ltd. Subotica for further treatment and disposal.
Regional waste management center
Regional center which is being built between Orom and Bikovo settlements is the central place where waste treatment and disposal will be carried out. The types of waste treatment that will be performed here are waste separation and organic waste composting. The regional center will also comprise the waste collection center, as well as the hazardous waste storage.
The transfer stations are located next to the present municipal landfills in Kanjiža, Bačka Topola and Senta. The transfer stations will be used for waste reloading from garbage trucks into roll off containers where the waste will be pressed. Then, the waste from transfer stations will be transported to the regional center in Bikovo.
Waste collection centers (or recycling yards)
The waste collection centers are planned to be built next to the Transfer stations in Kanjiža, Bačka Topola and Senta, and also i Mali Iđoš, Čoka, Novi Kneževac and Subotica. The construction of waste collection centers in every municipality will enable the collection of bulky waste separately from the waste which is forbidden to throw in the garbage bin.
Green – recycling yards will be organized in densely populated settlements so that people from our region can handle their waste in accordance with all the principles of ecology.
„Green islands“ will offer the possibility to inhabitants to throw their recyclables in garbage bins of different colors and in that way to give their contribution to the development of primary selection which is our mutual objective.
Review of regional waste management system
Construction of sanitary landfill will solve the problem of waste in Subotica and other neighboring municipalities, and it will also create the conditions for the development of this business and new jobs.
We and our environment need regional sanitary landfill!